Anyone who has met my rambunctious 3 year old Danny knows that he hits things at full speed. His tiny stature makes his eyebrows perfect targets for bumps on tables. I should switch to a Japanese table. Yet, even if I did, Danny would find some way to jump, whack, fly or throw himself into peril. Really, it's a miracle that he's not had stitches or broken a leg-knock on wood!
I peg Danny's lack of medical history due to good parenting *pats self on back*. Actually, luck and angels following his every move should be given more credit.
I of course have 3 year old twins. If Danny is Hyde, Peter (his twin) is the mild mannered Dr. Jekyll. Both intelligent, can't live without each other, but I constantly worry that one is contemplating my murder.
Which leads me to this week. Danny started by breaking all of Sarah's toy porcelain dishes. Every. Single. One.
You understand why Sarah's door is always locked?
This was how he started the day. After adding yogurt to the couch, stuffing toys into the shop vac, cutting my bedsheets with scissors, spilling out all the toys in the library, uprooting my raspberries.
You're questioning my parenting skills, aren't you? Things like this for Danny are 'normal' activities and he's quick, lightening fast. The first tingle of glass and I was too late. The run from table to couch with yogurt an instant.
But in Danny's mind-- Sarah invited him to play in her room- he was putting the dishes away (by throwing them into the dishes box) when they broke. He served his sick brother yogurt, who happened to be sitting on the couch. He assisted his older brother with vacuuming the chocolate brownie crumbs from the toys, he tried his hand at quilting-and yes, my scissors are usually up higher. He helped me 'weed' the garden by uprooting my raspberries. The toys everywhere? He had to find his special fishy somehow, it's special!
Then today, no broken dishes, no scissors or glue, no yogurt on couches or toys in the vacuum. Today, Danny is being a 'normal' 3 year old, like his very reserved twin. I checked, sure enough-fever of 100. (Guess his brother on the couch decided to share.) Then, he started throwing up. "I'm okay mom." He smiles crookedly as I give him tylenol and popsicles. He wiggles his tiny self into my lap for extra special cuddles. It's a nice little break for myself, but I look forward to getting my rambunctious Danny back soon.
❤ my Danny Tiger.
No comments:
Post a Comment