Sunday, December 28, 2008

What is she saying?

Most parents start with a little bundle of joy and automatically learn their child's every cry and whimper and pretty much know exactly what the baby wants. This is harder starting with a toddler, since some words are known and others are not... it has taken us a little time to figure out what our daughter is asking for.

Some words have suddenly gotten very clear.

"What would you like for lunch?"

"CHEESE!!!" (she says this while signing "please"... I guess to her they sound the same. So occasionally she'll only give the sign... this means she want's cheese.)

"Drink." (again easy to understand)

But she has two words that until today we had not figured out...

"adandanadnaduyyadaynyayaydy" (talk given in desperation when she needs attention RIGHT NOW.)

also...

"meimeimemimemeimeimeimei" (talk given just to show you something.)

and...

"honyhonyonhyonoyehonyehoyn" (talk given when she is patiently waiting for something, and is just letting you know, 'I'm waiting.")

WE FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!

See... when I call for Andrew I usually say, "Honey?" (this is usually in a calm voice, no rush.)

but if I need something immediately I call "Andrew!"

when Andrew calls me it's "Amy." (usually to show me something on the computer or in a book.)

So... "adandanadnaduyyadaynyayaydy" is "Andrew! Andrew! Andrew!!"

and... "honyhonyonhyonoyehonyehoyn" is "honey? honey? honey?"

also...."meimeimemimemeimeimeimei" is "Amy. Amy. Amy."

Is this a good thing? Having your child use your spouses pet names too?

No comments: