Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Lily's Birth Story

On December 29th around 11:30 pm Andrew and I had just gotten the kids to sleep. It was Christmas break and out schedules were majorly different from normal. We were sitting on the couches chatting with each other. The living room was messy lots of toys everywhere scattered from the days activities, dinner still on the table. The kids had played with their Christmas toys, treats wrappers were scattered. Andrew mentioned just how tired he was, I agreed. I said to Andrew let's just clean up the house and then go to bed so we can get a nice restful nights sleep.

I stood up and went over near my daughters bedroom picking up a little toy on the floor- I hear a small pop and peed my pants! I ran to the bathroom made it in time before I started gushing everywhere, but my pants were soaked. I sat on the toilet and it just kept coming. Andrew ran downstairs and brought me a towel and clean pants.  Andrew entering the bathroom said "Honey that doesn't smell like pee." I realized it wasn't stopping. I called my mother and asked her "Mom when your water breaks does it not stop?" She replied "I'm coming over right now you get to the hospital." Andrew grabbed the maternity bag- I actually had one ths time! I waited for my parents to arrive as Andrew tried his best to clean up the house just a little bit.

My parents showed up Andrew and I got in the car and drove to Mountain Point Medical Center. Andrew dropped me off at the front door; I didn't notice there was a note there to use the emergency entrance since it was so late at night. The doors didn't open for me I had to backtrack and go back through the emergency room door.  I immediately started heading up to the OBGYN office and delivery. I was leaking fluid everywhere, the towel between my legs was soaked and dripping, my pants were getting increasingly soaked. However the lady at the desk stopped me and said "You can't go in there until you've checked in." I asked, "Can my husband check me in, since I'm leaking?" (The answer is No...FYI...until the receptionist notices water gushing all down your legs.) I was annoyed but started to check in. They took my name and called the delivery/maternity ward within a few moments Andrew arrived and was able to continue checking me in while they let me go up to the maternity ward.

 I had collected some of the amniotic fluid, I gave it to them to go and test. I lead me to the delivery room and the nurse performed another test using the little q-tip to determine whether or not my amniotic fluid had  actually broken - it had. They placed the monitors on my stomach for the baby and myself but had great difficulty in finding the baby's heartbeat because I had my placenta in the front. They eventually figured it out by placing the monitor way down low on my stomach, lower than expected.

After an hour of monitoring contractions the doctors came in to ask whether or not my contractions were painful, they were but not enough for me to have an epidural quite yet. I was dilated to 3. After several more hours and monitoring it was determined that my contractions were not advancing at all. The doctor suggested that I have pitocin or a c-section. I opted for the pitocin.

The nurses came in and started up the IV. I had to have antibiotics and pitocin. The moment the pitocin started making my contractions harder the baby's heart rate dropped significantly. The monitors were hidden from my view the entire time that I was in labor. Andrew looked at it on occasion or could read the monitor paper that was printing out but other than that I had no idea that my daughter's heart rate was dropping. The nurses came in and stopped the pitocin the second I was dialated to 5. My body progressed the contractions got harder, and I requested an epidural. Dr Bean and Lamoreux came in multiple times and offered me a c-section based on how my daughter's heart rate was dropping assume but also based on that both of them were supposed to leave for another hospital. I really did not want to have a c-section at all and begged them to do the best they could to not have it become a c-section. They continued to monitor my daughter's heart rate and overall things seem to be alright she wasn't in danger of a heart attack just dippin slightly.

 At around 9:30 a.m. the doctors decided to have me push. I was not fully dilated- closer to an eight and a half but the doctor hoped that having me push might help push my dilation up to 10.  I was able to get Peter out in three pushes very easily. But trying my very hardest she was not coming out. Everytime I pushed she jumped right back up into my abdomen. Every single time she was almost out she's squirmed right back in. Her heart rate kept dropping every time I pushed. I was put on oxygen, my head was swimming, concentration was difficult, and my ears rang. Finally Dr Bean informed me that he was going to get her out immediately and in order to do so he needed to vacuum assist. I agreed and while giving one large push, he vacuum assisted her out partially. In the midst of pushing I realized the doctor is telling me to stop. The umbilical cord was wrapped tightly around her neck she was choking to death.

 Dr Bean removed the cord from her neck and she was born. He placed her on my chest. I could only see her back, she was blue, not moving, and absolutely tiny. She was lifeless. The nurses were rubbing her back encouraging her to breathe but she wasn't. After a few seconds they moved her over to the baby respiratory bed and began working on her to try to get her to breathe. In the mist of this I delivered the placenta and Dr Bean noted that it was very small and covered in blood clots to the extent of placental abruption. (I would have had a stillborn in a few days.) Dr Bean looked over at Lily in the bed and seeing the vitals on the bed turned to me and said "Don't worry she's breathing. They got her to breathe, she's doing fine. She has a heartbeat." It had taken 3 full minutes. I tore minorly but it didn't require any stitches.

The nurses moved her to the NICU, I had Andrew go with them. After I was cleaned up, I was left alone in the delivery room. My nurse checked on me every few minutes. But I didn't see a picture of my daughter for another 30 minutes.
Lily in the NICU.



Second picture I saw, NICU.
Just checked in.

First picture I saw of Lily, she was still blue when they removed her from the delivery room.

No comments: