Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'll let the cashier check my groceries

Today was grocery day! On my list: Broccoli, Peaches, Bananas, Watermelon, Celery, Green Onions, Pork, Chicken, Milk, Butter, Shampoo, Baby Treats, Sushi etc.

Oh the joys of walking through the grocery store. Have you ever looked at people's faces? Usually they are focusing on the task ahead, concentrating with great effort, you can see the math in the air...almost.

I stopped by Buy Low, Walmart, Sunflower Market. (It was a big grocery day...)

I decided to get the milk at Smith's...as they have the cheapest price currently. Just a normal trip.

Go to Store.
Buy milk.
Go back home.
Have husband put milk away. :)

I decided to check out at the self check. I love them. (I was a cashier at Macey's for 4 1/2 years.)

In front of me were two girls, both buying ice cream and other delectable treats. The brown haired one was holding a skate board & the blonde one a scooter, you know the one, the popular scooters that nearly every child has with two wheels and the handle. The scooter is metal. M-E-T-A-L

Her self check opened and she placed her ice cream down and then her scooter.

suddenly....


!!!BLUE AND YELLOW SPARKS!!
Electricity gone mad at the scooter.
Guests stepping back in shocked admiration.
The girl standing, not too close, watching her scooter fry to the floor!
The Smith's worker, pausing for a minute, then calling on the overhead
"Uh, could we have the head electrical worker come to the front?"
The Smith's worker then having to stop a brave young man from trying to touch it...
People in the circle (people always form circles, no matter what the event/disaster)
People in the circle trying to explain electricity to the gentleman
and why it's a 'Do Not Touch' situation.

Finally the electrician came.
Moved the scooter...to uh...'safer' location.
I admired the scorch marks and white residue on the floor.
Enthusiastically thanked the Smith's worker for the Fireworks.
Glad that I did not witness electrocution.
And drove home.

Next time...I'll let the cashier check my groceries!

No comments: